Top 10: Tyler Perry Movies

Ed Savoy August 1, 2010 18

Tyler Perry needs to start taking carpentry lessons, because building the sets for his films is the only thing he hasn’t done. For almost all of his films, he is the writer, director, producer, and usually one of the lead actors. In most of his films, his acting involves dressing in drag as his signature character Madea and putting on cumbersome amounts of make-up. If there were an Oscar for sheer amount of work done, Tyler Perry would have it. But, the films he’s put forth have definitely shown the effort he’s put into them.

10. Daddy’s Little Girls

The only film to date that Tyler Perry has directed, but not appeared in, this tale of a hard working father, played by Idris Elba, also stars Gabrielle Union and Oscar winner Louis Gosset Jr.

9. Madea’s Class Reunion

This teleplay DVD release is scheduled to be made for and released to theaters later this year. Given that it stars Perry in his usual role as Madea in addition to another role, we seem to be in for double the craziness.

8. The Family That Preys

A rare film in which Perry does not appear as Madea, he instead plays the best friend of the title character, with whom he wishes to set up a construction business. We’re all still getting over the fact that he’s not in a dress.

7. Meet the Browns

Perry only has a small role in this film, doubling as Madea and Madea’s brother. However, the fact that this was spun off into a TV series should be some consolation to him, as should the fact that it made back double its budget.

6. I Can Do Bad All By Myself

Appearing again in the double roles of Madea and Joe, one has to respect any film that brings together Mary J. Blige and Gladys Knight. If only they had a jam session in this movie.

5. Why Did I Get Married Too?

Another non-Madea film, this April 2010 follow-up to 2007’s Why Did I Get Married? finished behind only Clash of the Titans at the box office.

4. Why Did I Get Married?

The film features four couples which all ask the titular question. At least it has something in common with its audience.

3. Madea’s Family Reunion

If a family reunion that includes Perry’s Medea, a sassy, pistol packing grandmother, isn’t worth going to, there are no family reunions worth the hassle.

2. Diary of a Mad Black Woman

Perry’s first film, we see Madea introduced as the grandmother of the title character, a woman cast out by her husband and his new mistress. It was a surprise hit and put Perry on the path to a secure career in Hollywood.

1. Madea Goes to Jail

Playing three roles, including Madea, Madea Goes to Jail made over 90 million at the box office and has sold over 1 million DVDs. Apparently everyone thought it was a steal.

With split screen technology being what it is, the next step for Perry is playing all the roles in a movie and forsaking other actors altogether. If he ever does, the film that comes out of it surely won’t lack for interest.

18 Comments »

1. JACQUE September 28, 2010 at 1:44 am -

not a bad overview. Wold like to see fresh material (aka movies)

2. mbongeni October 28, 2010 at 10:29 am -

I just love the charecter she makes me laugh.

• MAD BLACK FEMALE February 9, 2012 at 2:18 am -

that would be a he

3. S'Thembsy November 5, 2010 at 1:34 am -

I was in love with Denzel’s movies before, but after discovering Tyler Perry – he has been my best since. I have to get Why did I get married II and I can do bad by myself now.

4. rosy November 8, 2010 at 8:08 pm -

Tyler Perry’s movies are fantastic…love everyone of them.

5. Jane December 15, 2010 at 3:37 am -

I love all the top 10 Tyler Perrry movies as they are very inspiring. Any new movies in the pipe line? Can’t wait! Well done Tyler……

6. Raniya December 17, 2010 at 7:40 am -

Tyler perry movies are awesome!! i enjoy watching them they make me laugh! And i hope he makes a third why did i get married. because i watched both of them an i loved em. and i really want to kno wat would happen after that!!

7. Dgeeklord February 20, 2011 at 5:15 am -

Tyler Perry is a bunch of TELENTS!

Like his movies

8. zanele March 14, 2011 at 2:11 am -

each time i watch a tyler perry movie i get moved for the better, he spreads the Gosbel of Jesus in a very eye catching i thank God 4 him

9. anna March 23, 2011 at 1:47 pm -

i love his movies i want more.

10. mpakiseng April 13, 2011 at 1:31 am -

Tyler`s movies projects the real life, i love the way the actors bring life to the charecter, they forever leave me in tears but i juat can not get enough, i just love them..,.

11. obagunwa kemi April 27, 2011 at 6:38 am -

grrrhhh…. Tyler perry u r d best. your movies shows u r talented.luvs to see more. kip on d gud work

12. Wale Adeloye October 13, 2011 at 2:58 am -

What a wonderful job in most of Tyler’s movie I have seen. Seeing “Dairy of a Black woman” it build up your faith towards God, teaches forgiveness and thus you have hope no matter the challenge you’re facing. Keep up the good and godly works. God Bless you Tyler Perry.

13. Elizabeth January 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm -

I love tyler perry movies, they are so inspiring and each i watch his movies i learnt a lot from it. why did i get married too (fantastic) I kept on watching over and over again never get tired of watching it. Diary of a Mad Black woman( that was great) I see myself in this movies and i am so bless. I am sure Tyler doesnt have an idea how much marriage that has been saved.

14. NettieB May 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm -

Tyler Perry is the BOMB!!! I just love it when a black man makes history.

15. waridi nakshinakshi December 6, 2012 at 1:32 am -

loves all tyler perry movies they are wooooooooowwww

16. Kedibone December 14, 2010 at 1:17 am -

I love all Tyler Perry’s movies they r off da hook. I relate to Diary of a Mad Black Woman in so many levels, Damn!!! that’s my personal Diary. I couldn’t have handled the situation better if it wasn’t for you Tyler. Thank you u rock! Blessing,Blessings & more Blessings!!!!!!!!!