10 not so great things about France

LeTune November 21, 2008 16

We all know France is great and the french a wonderful people. In fact we know it and hear it a little bit too much. The wine, the cheese, the city of love, the Eiffel tower, the croissants, the women, the freedom. Yeah, you get our point. And to balance it out some what, here are 10 not so great things about France. (Actually written by a Frenchman, so direct you anger towards him in the comments :-)

1. The French and the English language

If you go to France, write down all questions you might need. Then, try to find French who do know a few words and stick to him! He is one of a kind.

2. Paris! Beautiful and Unwelcoming

Paris is well known for its beauty but also the city has won several prices for being the less welcoming city in the world

3. Dog shit everywhere, myth?

This is one of the greatest social problems in Paris: dog shit on the streets
Parisians expect the government to clean up the dog shit for them.

4. Always with the striking

Not much to say about that…every year, SNCF´s (national railway company) strikes cost over 8 billion Euros to tax payers

5. Le Baguette

98% of the entire French population eats baguette everyday!

6. City traffic

The French have been named the worst drivers, but attempting to negotiate the chaotic roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe is so entertaining.

7. Movie Dubbing

If you travel to France, do not even dare to turn on the TV, or you might hear Harrison Ford speaking French’

8. Striking 2.0

In the autumn of 2005 the suburbs of Paris burned with anger at racism and poverty. Soon that rage spread across France and led to the most prolonged rioting the country had ever seen.

“Proud and Arrogant”

10. Wine, culture?

Of course one of the most popular French drinks is le vin, or wine.
2 facts:
- 50 liters of wine per year per habitant
- 40% of the population drinks wine daily

16 Comments »

1. gracie January 14, 2009 at 7:28 am -

sweeeet actionnnnn baby boy!

2. al February 21, 2010 at 8:59 am -

seems a bit racist to me. What if i wrote one saying 10 things i hate about blacks? Would that be cool? Get back to Nazi Germany tt10!

• phil September 21, 2010 at 8:26 pm -

I can think of a lot more than ten things I hate about blacks.

3. wmmattler February 27, 2010 at 2:05 pm -

Wow Al! I didn’t even write this one and I’m going to have to say you are too off base. What you are referring to is not RACISM but NATIONALISM… or anti-nationalism. Hey Letune. let’s do one titled “Top 10: Racism Facts” and dedicate it to our friend Al… We can get that Nazi Gieger to do it!

4. DrZin May 31, 2010 at 5:09 am -

“What if i wrote one saying 10 things i hate about blacks?”

Go for it! I’ll read it with an open mind.

5. wmmattler June 24, 2010 at 8:22 am -

LeTUNE! We got a live one… someone’s been taking French lessons! So Kiki… how long you BEEN in the Navy?

6. Babou September 14, 2010 at 10:12 am -

Hey guys I’m french too and I think that what the other guy said is just rubbish. He’s not helping us at all ^^

I have a really good english mate, and we talkedg about that together, so now, I can say that, yeah it’s true, many stereotypes about france and french people are true, but don’t put everybody in the same bag (this is a french expression), not everybody in France is like that, more and more teens are speaking english well, we try everything we can to make the towns cleaner, etc etc. I know a loooooooot of french people who love to speak english, to help the tourists, so do I ! But hey, every country has its own stereotypes and clichés, but travelling is these countries is the best way to make the stereotypes wrong ! Believe me :)

7. froggy September 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm -

I’m french, in paris, and all that is quite real !

But !

1 – language – i speak a bit of english !

2 – Unwelcoming – come on !… we’re not all the same bastards !

3 – dog shit – parisians do not expect governement to clean up the dog shit but if they get caught not doing it, they receive a bill to pay from the governement.

4 – that is f****** true. We’d like to do the revolution again but we don’t have the real balls to do it for real, so we try and try again… but we all don’t always agree about the way to…

5 – you have to say LA baguette and not LE baguette. And that is just bread afterall. But, well… good and real bread. Not like harry’s toasts or big mac stuff…

6 – traffic – in the “big” cities in France, yes we have a problem with to much cars… it’s a pain in the a** to find a place to park. I think traffic jams are internationals, not only in paris, …?

7 – Movies in french – THAT is a pity to me : we translate every thing : That’s is the reason why the people doesn’t make an effort to learn other languages. We should make a striking about that… ;)

8 – Stricking 2.0 : carefull with media effects – 2005 events where over and over on the TV but that was not a civil war !!!

9 – arrogant – sorry about that… But don’t judge the french only over the parisians ! And i promise, even all parisian are not like our silly president… If some of U.S. people were sorry for Bush, a lot of french people are now sorry for Sarkozy…

10 – Wine – Well… yes…

cheers.

• mo-chan November 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm -

you do not really translate everything, you never translate babysitting, shopping, nugets, donuts, happy meal and a lot more I can’t think of.

8. root September 21, 2010 at 7:10 pm -

I would say this perfectly sums up the French. Paris smells of ****, that’s a fact, deal with it, please deal with it! Driving in Paris is a nightmare, people don’t indicate they just pull out, they just stop and put on hazard lights which in Paris means they are now parked! I have found the French do try and speak English, some are very arrogant. 7 days it took to fix a Salisbury differential even after shipping a complete replacement part from Cumbria in 21 hrs! No Demar! The strikes I can live with strikes I think people should stand-up for themselves more, the British are timid. Oh and France closes at around 6pm… Entire villages look like ghost towns, no lights no sound, nothing open after 6pm.

Canada, smells like pine and the people are nice, even the homeless…. AND some of them speak French!

9. Blair Ivey September 21, 2010 at 11:53 pm -

I once lived with a French girl. Not only was she French, she was Parisian French. After one of her trips home she came back spitting mad. Apparently she had been living abroad long enough to lose the subtleties of her Parisian accent and had been treated rudely in her own hometown.

I laughed about that for days.

10. stico September 22, 2010 at 2:28 am -

Way too racist indeed. I agree with some of them, as a french dude, but some are just weird… What’s the problem with eating baguette for exemple? Or speaking french on french tv…. useless “10 facts”

11. hest September 22, 2010 at 3:15 am -

Snel hest? klapa klapa klapa!

12. Tasha November 19, 2010 at 9:26 am -

wow calm down just a little bit
    It might have been a little offensive, but geesh man!! Dont u think ur over reacting just a little bit?
    Suck it up dude

13. moukari December 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm -

Dude, “If you ask people around the world to put together two adjectives describing French and you will get “proud and arrogant”. As an example, most of the French has never put a foot on the US soil, still they know all about it…”

Whereas US citizens are proud and arrogant, and don’t know anything about the surrounding world. No, I wouldn’t like to live in France, but I’d take it over the USA any day of the week. Oh, and I’ve been to both quite a few times, I do know what I’m talking about.

14. carly January 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm -

yes i went there were beggars everywhere but it felt nice to be in paris but i prefered the other countries but couldnt go anywhere much as they striked the whole time on the trains i was lucky to get back for my flight the people were nice enough…even thou i spoke very poor french and i couldnt find the toilets or the button to open the one in the street that u put money in but someone helped me before i peed myself than kfully